There has been no ‘official announcement’, but the freshly released redsn0w 0.8 has support for unlocking the iPhone 3G S. I’m not using it on mine just yet though, I’d prefer to wait for a few positive feedbacks first.
Redsn0w is an easy to use, multi-platform, multi-device jailbreaking and unlocking tool which will:
- Unlock and Jailbreak iPhone 2G
- Unlock and Jailbreak iPhone 3G
- Unlock and Jailbreak iPhone 3G S
- Jailbreak iPod Touch (1st & 2nd Gen)
- Unlock iPhone 3.0 and iPod Touch 3.0 software
The main features of RedSn0w 0.8 are:
- a stable jailbreak (unlike PurpleRa1n)
- Cydia and Icy are now fully compatible
- UltraSn0w compatible
- Mobile Substrate and WinterBoard working well
REDSN0W PROVIDES SIMILAR FUNCTIONALITY TO QUICKPWN.
If you want to build custom firmware files with more flexibility it is suggested that you use ‘PwnageTool’ on Mac OS X.
It is important to note that if you are using a unlocked 3G iPhone with yellowsn0w and rely on yellowsn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should NOT use redsn0w right now.
Ultrasn0w (the 3G unlock) is not included with this release and therefore your baseband will be locked and unable to use an operator other than the official one it was bought for. UltraSn0w will be released via APT (cydia and icy) soon. If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.0 carrier unlock works with this redsn0w release.
Also, yellowsn0w in its current form will NOT work with the baseband version that is present in the 3.0 update, you will need ultrasn0w which will work with all iPhone 3G models (but not 3GS), even ones that were previously unlockable, ultrasn0w will be released via APT (this means you will be able to get it via Cydia or Icy).
- Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
- Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
- At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the latest version of redsn0w.
- This app is suitable for the recent 3.0 release
- redsn0w 0.8 WILL unlock the iPhone 3GS.
- redsn0w WILL also unlock the iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch, iPod touch 2G and the iPhone 3G (not the iPhone 3GS).
To use redsn0w simply upgrade the device in iTunes to firmware version 3.0 and run redsn0w to activate and jailbreak the device (and if you are using an original iPhone 2G, it will unlock it too!)