Yellowsn0w – unlock your iPhone to all networks
Sick of being stuck on O2 network? Yellowsn0w will enable you to unlock your iPhone to any network you want!
Remember this is a FREE unlock tool – do not be fooled into paying for it!
Now everyone can unlock their 3G iPhone for free!
This is yellowsn0w version 0.9.8 and it’s still in beta so use it at your own risk.
Here is the iPhone 3G firmware 2.2 download link:
You can install yellowsn0w 3G unlock by using either Cydia or Installer, whichever you prefer. Below is a list of the repos/sources.
Note: The DevTeam also says that once you are done installing yellowsn0w through Cydia go back to the main menu on Cydia and restart your iPhone with the 3rd party SIM installed. Wait for the slide to unlock screen, and then wait 10-15 seconds. If you don’t see your carrier name pop up you must remove your SIM, insert it again, and wait 10 seconds. (The DevTeam plans on eliminating this step in future releases).
Installer sources: http://i.yellowsn0w.com/
Information & Instructions
- The unlock works exclusively with baseband 02.28.00. This baseband is provided by the firmware update (2.2) from Apple. You’ll need to upgrade to this release using iTunes and then use QuickPwn to activate etc. There are plenty of tutorials about this on iclarified, bigboss, modmi and other established tutorial sites. Because it works on 02.28.00, it is available to everyone on the planet. This means we don’t need to unnecessarily expose holes in earlier basebands, which is an important concern.
- The application is a small daemon that is launched on boot. It injects the payload at boot and also whenever there is a baseband reset. You won’t notice anything about it other than that your third-party sim now works. It’s a small program and unobtrusive. There is no GUI (this is by design).
- You can add the application using the sources outlined below. There are Cydia and Installer sources available, so use whichever you are comfortable using.
- yellowsn0w is completely removable through Cydia, the command line, and iTunes.
- There is a known issue with SIM cards that have STK (SIM Toolkit) application menus. These menus are usually items such as “top up” “get credit” “lotto numbers” etc. These menu items confuse the application sometimes. Removing and reinserting the SIM once after reboot (give it about 60 seconds after you see the slide to unlock widget) fixes this issue. We’re working on a better fix. Update: version 0.9.4 fixes this for many (but probably not all) users who previously had to wait a minute and then replug the sim.
- For those of you using SIM cards without STK menus, the application has some optional arguments that will make the unlock much faster for you. So either experiment on your own (use “yellowsn0w -h” for usage) or wait for a customization writeup.
- After you install yellowsn0w via Cydia, you should return to the Cydia main menu then reboot your iPhone with the 3rd party SIM installed. Wait for the slide to unlock screen, then wait 10 or 15 secs more. If you don’t see your carrier name pop up, then remove your SIM, reinsert it, and wait 10 secs more. This is the step we’ll be working on eliminating next.
See the yellowsn0w faq page for more information